Sovereign Hill

On Friday all the grade 3/4s from Holy Family School went to Sovereign Hill. We had to get to school early. There were three buses, my class and another class went in the same bus. It took about two hours to get there! On the way I saw a lot of trees and houses. When we arrived in Ballarat we saw a sign about Sovereign Hill. We were getting close! I could not wait to get there. At last we arrived! When the bus driver parked the bus we all got out of the bus and lined up behind our teachers. Then when we were outside the entrance to Sovereign Hill we got into our groups. In my group there was Olivia, Ryan and Morio, Olivia’s mum looked after our group.

We went inside and everyone sat down and ate a snack, once we had finished our whole class went to the gold pour demonstration. There was gold heating up on the stove while we listened to the man talking.Once the gold had heated up enough he took the pot of gold out and poured it into a mould. The mould was shaped as a gold bar. After that he told us that it was very, very hot. Then he picked it up with some big tongs and put it in some cold water. He then stood back and the gold sparked everywhere. It made a loud noise like a firework!

After that our class split up into our groups and we went off and did whatever we wanted.  Our group went to a lollie shop called Mr Browns Confectionery. We watched a demonstration of how to make musk drops. The man was heating up the lollie mixture on the stove. Then he took it out and poured it onto a bench and started kneading it to make it turn pink. Then he put it on this hook on a wall and he started hooking it. Then he cut it up into rectangle shapes and the he put them through a rolling machine that you had to wind the handle around to make the lollies go through to turn into circle shapes. Now they were hard so dropped them into a wooden box so they all separated and turned into little lollies. Then we had to go into the part where you buy the lollies from and we got a free try. The man told us that in the olden days red lollies were made out of red beetle shells and green lollies were made out of poison and blue lollies were made out of a different type of poison.

After that we went to have lunch.  After lunch we went to do whatever we wanted with our group. Our group went to a different lollie shop and I got a bag of musk drops and a toffee apple. Then we went to the old fashioned bowling. the bowling pins were shaped differently and were made out of wood. The bowling balls were also made out of wood. To play the bowling we had to hold the ball with two hands one on each side,put it between your legs and push it as hard as you can.

Then our whole class went to amine tour I learnt that the second biggest gold nugget is called the welcome nugget.

The whole class got togther and went to the education centre.in there we learnt about the gold rush. Some kids got to dress up as people leaving their countries going to find gold on the goldfields.

After that we got together with our groups. My group went to the candle making place. Me and Olivia wanted to make a candle. We both chose a bumpy candle. We went into this area with lots of different colour wax. Then a lady came and showed us what to do. She told us to turn our candles upside down and dip them in the wax straight away. Then we dipped it in water to cool it down. We kept doing that until the candle had five colors on it.

My favorite memory was gold panning I found a little bit of gold it was hard to find.
If I had a job at Sovereign Hill in the 1850s it would be working in a lollie shop because I love lollies!!

Lollies being made
Candle Makers

This entry was posted in Other.

3 thoughts on “Sovereign Hill

1. I really enjoyed reading your post about Sovereign Hill. It was really interesting and well written. The photos you added are great as well. I look forward to hearing more about what you learnt as we continue our inquiry.
    Mrs Gleeson

2. Hi Eboni,
    i love your posed about Sovereign hill it is cool. I was in your group to.
    my favourite thing was gold panning.

3. Hi Eboni,
    I really like your blog, my Mum even said she couldn’t believe how much you wrote.
    Last time I typed a lot and then it got deleted.
    I liked the toffee apple, did you try it? Have you ever been to Sovereign Hill, apart from our excursion?

Ryan